Frequently Asked Graduate Music Admission Questions 

Do I need to take entrance exams before admission?

Our Graduate Entrance Examinations (GEE) take place after admission. All entering music graduate students must take the GEE in music theory, aural skills, and music history. Performance Certificate students are only required to take the GEE if they intend to enroll in musicology/ethnomusicology or theory courses. Students who enroll in graduate courses in musicology/ethnomusicology or music theory without first passing the GEE or completing the necessary review course(s) may not apply those courses to graduate degree requirements.

What previous academic work is required? 

Any student who is admitted to a graduate program in music at the University of Oregon must currently possess the equivalent of a baccalaureate degree. Certificates and diplomas from music conservatories are not equivalent to baccalaureate degrees. Baccalaureate degrees include a substantial amount of work in general studies such as science, social science, humanities, and the arts. 

Is it possible to be admitted to a graduate music degree program if my undergraduate degree is not in music? 

Yes. Any student admitted to graduate studies in music, but does not have an undergraduate degree in music, must take the Graduate Entrance Exam in Music Theory and Musicology. This serves as a diagnostic tool for the Music Theory and Musicology areas to determine any necessary remedial course work in these areas. The remedial course work will be mandatory, and may include graduate and/or undergraduate courses as assigned. 

Is it possible to apply directly to the doctoral program if I have a bachelor’s degree but not a master’s degree? 


Are applications only accepted for Fall Term, or is it possible to apply for other terms? 

Applications are accepted for Fall Term only. 

Are applications accepted after the December 10 deadline? 

Consideration is given on a case by case basis. If you think you have an exceptional case, please send your explanation in an email to

Is it possible to complete my graduate studies as a part-time student? 

Yes. However, for a master's degree, the UO Graduate School requires that a minimum of thirty credits (applicable to degree requirements) be taken at UO over at least two terms of study. Doctoral candidates must complete at least three years of full-time graduate level work beyond the baccalaureate degree, of which at least one academic year—the residency year—must be at UO. 

All music graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment (a minimum of three graduate credits each term, excluding summers). However, you are entitled to apply to be on leave from your program for a maximum of three terms for Master's students and six terms for doctoral students.

Does your program offer any online degrees or classes?

Unfortunately, no. Many of our courses, such as lessons and ensembles, are performance-based, thus requiring students to by physically present on campus. While there are rare instances when certain academic courses may be offered asynchronously or in a hybrid format, such occurrences are infrequent.

Do you offer application fee waivers or discounts?

Please see the UO Graduate Studies website for more information.